2017 Scholarship Application
The deadline to apply for the 2017 Utica Roadrunners Scholarship has EXPIRED.
The Utica Roadrunners have as our primary mission the promotion of family health and fitness through running. Each year we sponsor a number of events to help raise money for collegiate scholarships for outstanding graduating student athletes in our community. We are pleased to announce that this tradition will continue in 2017 with the Paul Ohlbaum and Howard Rubin Scholarships to the outstanding male and female applicants.
Minimum qualifications the Scholarship Board will consider include the applicant’s running achievements, academic achievements and extracurricular activities. The $500 scholarships are a one-time award to be used for tuition, fees, or residential costs at an accredited college or university. Runners who have received a full ride scholarship are not eligible for this scholarship.
The student athlete must meet these standards:
- has been an active member of their high school’s cross country and/or track teams in grades 11 and 12. The applicant should include career bests, athletic achievements, and athletic awards received.
- has demonstrated academic excellence. The applicant should include academic awards, class rank, and possess a GPA of 2.5 or higher based on a 4.0 system.
- has demonstrated community involvement and leadership qualities. The applicant should specify any non-athletic activities/clubs/organizations that benefit others.
- has been accepted to an accredited two or four year college.
Selection will be made based off an anonymous point scale by the Scholarship Board. The Scholarship Board will be comprised of members of the Utica Roadrunners Board.
- All applications should be printed out and submitted to the Utica Roadrunners by Friday, April 28, 2017. Winners will be notified and the scholarships will be awarded no later than Friday, June 30, 2017.
- Include current official transcript for grade 12. This can be mailed if a soft copy is not available for uploading.
- Include 2 letters of recommendation from supervising adults (coach, principal, teacher, employer, religious leader). These can be mailed if a soft copy is not available for uploading.
- Include one essay (500 words or less) describing your education and career goals, why running is important to you, and why you feel you are deserving of the 2017 Utica Roadrunners Scholarship Award.
- Supporting documents (transcript and Letters of Recommendation) can be submitted via US Mail to:
Utica Roadrunners Scholarship Board
PO Box 4141
Utica, NY 13504
All applications must be received AND COMPLETE by Friday, April 28, 2017 to be considered! Incomplete applications missing any required documents will not be considered.
No materials will be returned. Please be certain the application is completed by the applicant. Email email@example.com if you have any questions.